Sunday, May 31, 2009

Feast

Just wanted to share about the new study my BSB (Bible Study Buddies) group is doing this summer . . .





Feast
This study is written by Kevin Leman and published by Lifeway. Feast is a 6 week study on several of the feasts mentioned in the Bible. There are 6 of us doing the study and we are each assigned a feast. On our week, we will be able to recreate certain elements of the feast. My feast is the Feast of Weeks or Pentecost. I've studied ahead and here are a few of the things I have planned . . .

-I will ask each girl to either wear new clothes or wear a feshly laundered outfit to go along with the freshness associated with this feast.
-Each girl will be asked to select a Scripture verse or passage that has been meaningful in their life and share it with the group. It is believed that the 10 Commandments were also given to Moses during this time, so Scripture is studied all night long on Pentecost to remember the giving of the Law.
-The book of Ruth will also be incorporated into the feast. Ruth is associated with the Feast of Weeks because both take place during the wheat harvest.
-Decorations will include greenery and fresh cut flowers, candles and white table linens again reminding us of the harvest time.
-Fresh bread will be baked. The Jews were given specific instructions to offer two loaves of bread as a first-fruits offering to God.
-Dairy products such as cheesecake or cheese blintzes will be served to signify the spiritual milk of God's word and Israel's title of the land of milk and honey.

Our study begins this week with Passover. I bought some Jerusalem-baked matza bread for the big day. My friend Beth is hosting, but I was so excited to find the matza bread that I told her I would bring it for our meal. Shortly after I bought it, I sent her a text saying "Gatza the Matza!" My nerdiness shines again!

No comments: