Monday, May 18, 2009

Menu for the Week

As much as I love to plan and organize, these skills have yet to carry over in my home! Lately, I have been making more of an effort to plan our meals for the week. Last night as I was trying to figure out what we would eat this week and what I would need at the grocery store, I had an idea. Maybe someone has already done the work for me. I turned to my old friend Google and she did not disappoint! (I'm guessing Google is of the female persuasion because like any true female she has a lot of words!) Anyway, I think I may have stumbled upon something wonderful!

The website is www.menufortheweek.com. This is not a free service, but the site does offer a free sample week. I've decided to give it a try. I just hit print and out popped 5 dinner recipes, 1 dessert recipe, 1 breakfast recipe and the real kicker . . . a complete shopping list for the week! The recipes are designed to be kid friendly and each week offers 2 chicken recipes, 2 beef recipes, and one pork or meatless recipe. In addition, there is typically one crock-pot recipe offered each week. If the week goes well, the cost is $25 for six months of weekly menus and shopping lists. I believe the sight said this also includes access to all their recipes. For me, this would be absolutely worth it! The biggest savings would come from us eating at home during the week instead of going out.

So far, the shopping went great this morning. The only thing I had trouble finding was sesame seeds and prepared basil pesto. With a little help, I was able to find everything on the list and was pleasantly surprised that my total bill was comparible to any other week. The recipes look yummy and easy!!! I am only planning to make the five dinners. The shopping lists for the dessert and breakfast were separate, so it was easy to shop for just the dinners. We will see. I'll try and report back at the end of the week.

2 comments:

Grammy said...

What's on the menu for today? Something yummy, I'm sure! You are getting to be quite the chef. I'm going to start calling YOU for cooking advice!

Aunt Lynette said...

Sounds fun! Let us know how it goes. :-)