Thursday, November 5, 2009

Legacy




A few weeks ago, I hopped a plane to Denver, Colorado. I stayed just north of Denver with my Aunt and Uncle. While there I had many adventures, but none as special as my time with Grandma. Growing up, I always lived near my Grandpa and Grandma Schmidt. I enjoyed watching television on the big screen and seeing what treats they had stocked in the fridge. Grandma often treated me to lunch and shared stories of her life. While I was in college, Grandma began showing signs of dementia and Grandpa was struggling with his health. In 2006, Grandpa died and Grandma moved away to live with my Aunt and Uncle.


Grandma currently lives in an assisted living home near my Aunt, Uncle and cousins in Colorado. As I began to make plans for a visit, I realized Grandma might not recognize me. Still, I felt compelled to make the trip. It really didn’t matter if Grandma recognized me or not, she is my Grandma and I love her. I didn’t want to arrive empty handed, so I asked my Aunt for some gift suggestions. Along with some pictures of my family, I brought a bag of chocolates and a journal with a kitten on it. Grandma enjoyed the gifts, especially the chocolate, and hopefully the company.


While visiting with Grandma, she constantly told each of us how pretty we were. At times, she would lean over and give me a kiss. The women working at the home described Grandma as sweet. Here is one story of a conversation Grandma had with one of the women working at the home:

Grandma: I love Jesus!

Worker: He loves you too!

Grandma: Oh, good!

What a testimony! Despite physical and mental illnesses where part of her is stripped away, Grandma’s faith, hope and love remain. Now that’s a legacy!



Grandma showing off a picture of her great-grandson Owen.



My cousin Sarah, the trip photographer, took these pictures from the van while we were in Estes Park, Colorado.


My Aunt Lynette, me and Sarah in front of The Stanley Hotel. Apparently, this is the hotel that appears in Stephen King's movie "The Shining".


This is me in Rocky Mountain National Park. If this picture had been taken 5 seconds earlier you would have seen me nervously looking around for elk, deer, moose or bears!

1 comment:

Aunt Lynette said...

Sweet of you to post about mom. :-)