Monday, December 29, 2008

Tresolutions

Well, it's that time of year again . . . the end of the year. In my teen years, I was quite infamous for my New Year's resolutions. I guess the resolutions themselves were not so outrageous, but the fact that I actually carried them out to completion was what piqued the interest of others. My resolutions came in threes. You've heard of the Triple Crown and a Three-peat, well I had a Tresolution!

Year One: Pop
It all began with pop. Now, I'd never been a huge fan of carbonated beverages, but I'd have an Orange Crush or Sprite every now and again. One December, I thought it would be fun to attempt an entire year with absolutely no pop entering my body. The task ended up being a little tougher than I thought. I was always the only kid at a party bypassing all the shiny cans of bubbly beverages and wandering into the kitchen to ask for a glass of water. Even so, the year passed quickly and I had kept my resolution!

Year Two: Pop and Chocolate
Year one had been successful, but I needed a bigger challenge. What would be a true test of my will power? Chocolate! Oh yes, I went there. Giving up chocolate was tough. The absolute worst was any time my mom's side of the family would get together. I'm not sure how other families spend their time together, but we play board games and eat chocolate. That's it! This particular resolution did force me to broaden my dessert horizons, but chocolate will always be at the top of my list.

Year Three: Pop, Chocolate and Potato Chips
After successfully completing an entire year without chocolate, I was unstoppable! Why not go for one more year. Although nothing could top the no chocolate resolution, potato chips did run a close second. My biggest weakness was BBQ. Well, the year went off without a hitch. I specifically remember New Year's Day that next year. I'm pretty sure I ate enough chocolate to make up for the two years I had gone without!

As 2009 approaches, I am entering year two of my new Tresolution plan. This past year has been focused on developing a more consistent quiet time for bible study and prayer. 2009 will be focused on taking care of my body. I decided to get a head start and am already finishing up week 3 of an exercise plan a friend of mine developed for me. In true Tresolution fashion, I will be continuing to focus on my quiet times as well. Specifically, I'm hoping to work on scripture memorization during my time on the treadmill. Multitasking at it's finest! Year three is really going to be exciting-decluttering! Check back in December 2010 to see my progress!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you can give up chocolate, you can do ANYTHING! Go for it girl!

Ashleigh said...

I remember the no chocolate resolution! :)