Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Layovers


I am in the process of planning a family vacation. My biggest headache right now is arranging transportation for our family. We have decided that an airplane is the way to go, however, will we be able to arrange a nonstop flight for a decent price? It’s not looking good.

So, what’s the big deal about a stop or two along the way? For starters… time. We want to make the most of every single moment and that doesn’t include travel time. Also, hauling carry-on luggage and three young children from one plane to another in an orderly fashion seems next to impossible and not very vacation like. And as if these issues were not enough, there is always the problem of feeding everyone during the trip.

When God brought the Israelites out of Egypt, it wasn’t a direct flight. God, the travel agent specializing in unique trips, had planned a very important layover… in the desert. The Israelites were not thrilled. When would they get where they were going? How would they manage all they had and get all they needed during this annoying route? And what about this whole desert thing? Why the desert?  I had never really thought about this last question. They were in Egypt heading to the Promised Land and the desert was in the middle. However, after reading God’s recounting of Israel’s liberation from Egypt in Ezekiel 20:10-11, I saw it. This desert layover was perfectly and precisely planned. God had an important purpose for this inconvenient stop. “Therefore I led them out of Egypt and brought them into the desert. I gave them my decrees and made known to them my laws, for the man who obeys them will live by them.” 

God brought His people, the Israelites, into the desert to teach them how to live. He had wisdom and direction and rules that were meant to set this people apart from all other nations. These commands were for the good of His people, shaping and molding them into children of God and the desert was a perfect setting to deliver this instruction. The past was behind them, the promise was before them. The Israelites were now in a distraction free zone. All they had to do was trust that their travel agent had their best interests at heart—that He knew what He was doing and would take care of all the details. But we all know how that turned out!

I am learning to love what God does in my deserts. Although they aren’t always pleasant at the time, I have seen the heart of my travel agent and I’ve come to trust his itinerary for my life. Now off to check on those airline tickets and ready to embrace a stop or two along the way.

Show me your ways, O Lord; teach me your paths… Psalm 25:4
I run in the path of your commands, for you have set my heart free. Psalm 119:32
Direct me in the path of your commands, for there I find delight. Psalm 119:35

No comments: