Saturday, October 8, 2011

Showered with Blessings

When I woke up this morning, I had no idea the blessing that awaited me today. Earlier in the week, my friend Jessi had sent me a somewhat cryptic message saying she was planning some last minute pre-baby adventuring in Rockford. This invitation included something about low-impact walking and reservations. I put off committing to this intriguing offer not knowing if I’d be up for any activity or if my parents would be up for more babysitting. On Thursday or Friday, my parents informed me that they would pick up the boys and take them Saturday morning so I could rest up a bit. Great news! I guess Jessi and I were on!


Long story short, I very unexpectedly walked into a surprise baby shower! I had absolutely no idea that all this planning and sneaking around had been going on for some time now. For my own remembrance of this very special day, I want to share a few snapshots of the morning…


Jessi’s sister Bethany traveled all the way from Lake Geneva to help with the decorations. It was unbelievable! From lights and etsy-worthy baby items strung from the ceiling to sunflowers in pale blue painted jars and a burlap table cloth, I could barely take it all in.

I began looking through the crowd… my mom, Junior and Senior High staff women (Katie, Dara, Chelsey, Rachael, Gayle, Jenny, Laura, Maria, Cherice), some of my Bible study girls (Rose, Laura, Tona), my mentor Pam, my good friend Laura, a new friend Bethany and of course my friend and head schemer Jessi.


The food layout was just as impressive. Many of the women had contributed a variety of delicious breakfast foods: fruit, egg casseroles, French toast, pigs in a blanket with yummy pecans (thanks mom!) and pastries! At the table we each had these cute little glass jars filled with orange juice. So fancy!

My mom stepped out of her comfort zone and offered a beautiful prayer to start our meal. We all enjoyed some wonderful food and conversation. Then came the announcement. Jessi introduced my mentor Pam MacRae to share a message with us. This might not be a traditional baby shower agenda item, but it was perfect for me! I love hearing from Pam and always gain so much from her teaching.


Pam shared the story of Hannah and her long awaited Samuel from 1 Samuel. The main verse she had been impressed to share was 1 Samuel 1:27, “I prayed for this child, and the Lord has granted me what I asked of him.” Many of us commented the only thing missing was paper and pen to take notes on this amazing message from God’s word. Pam encouraged all of us to remember that our purpose (and our children’s purpose) is to love God and serve Him with our whole lives. The world emphasizes that childhood should be a time of fun and safety. As Christians, we know that childhood is a time to prepare our children for the spiritual battles that loom. At the age of three, we see Samuel worshipping God at the temple. Hannah was doing something right!


Next, Jessi shared the story about a special song that Miles and I would often sing at bedtime… “There’s Something About that Name.” Cherice and Maria played and sang the song for us and then we all joined in singing the song together. What sweet memories I have of rocking Miles to bed as a baby while singing this song and later listening to Miles sing the song all by himself.


We ended our time together with a special time of sharing. Jessi had asked each woman to share a passage of Scripture along with their thoughts/encouragements for me. Yes, there was a fair amount of crying throughout this portion of the shower, but there was laughter as well. I think I will post the different Scriptures that the women chose to share in another post. It was a wonderful gift and encouragement to me.


Another fantastic element of this shower was the theme: diapers! Knowing that we have many of the needed baby items stowed away from use with Owen and Miles, Jessi asked the women to shower me with diapers! Target is losing out on some major business from the Early family for baby’s first few months!


I can not even find the right words to express how blessed I feel after today. I don’t think I could have dreamed up such a perfect morning. I have spent a lot of time praising God in the storm and am now remembering the importance of praising him in times of joy as well.

Psalm 34:8

Taste and see that the Lord is good; blessed is the one who takes refuge in him.

No comments: