Friday, July 23, 2010

Training

There is a lot of training going on at our house these days. Miles is at the tail end of potty training. You might even consider him newly trained. Owen is in training to be a better listener. He is attending Kindercamp at our church this week and gets a little encouragement and reminder each day to listen to the teachers. So far, he has gotten really good reports. I am training my body. I’m training my body to get up early, to exercise, to eat better, and to go to sleep on time.

Twelve days ago, I committed to doing an exercise DVD that challenged me to exercise for 30 days in a row. The first challenge was starting. You would not believe the excuses I threw out there to avoid beginning this venture. As I sat and encouraged a good friend to do some training in another area, I was convicted to take my own and advice and just do it!

The first few days went smoothly. I could barely move, but I didn’t mind because I knew it was working. Then on days six and seven I faced some crossroads. My regular training routine and schedule had been interrupted. How would I handle it? Would I give up or would I press on and honor the commitment I had made? I chose to stick with it and find a way to keep going.

Yesterday, I noticed that my pants weren’t quite so tight. Although I don’t look forward to or enjoy my early morning workouts, I do delight in the results. I’ve recently been put through some pretty tough training. I didn’t want to be put through this training and there was not any part of it that I enjoyed. However, with my eyes fixed on Jesus Christ, I am beginning to recognize some of the results; a deeper faith, a greater joy, and a peace beyond understanding. Thanks be to the skilled trainer who has taken me on with grace, mercy, and compassion to shape me into the woman He has called me to be.

No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it. Hebrews 12:11

1 comment:

Ashleigh said...

Keep going!! You can do it, Keri!

What video is it? I did the "30 Day Shred" at some point over the last year and could hardly move the first first days, but it had great results ...