Monday, May 31, 2010

He Does

The neighbor smiles and waves hello.
He doesn’t realize what today is.

The barista greets me and serves with a smile.
She doesn’t see the pain in my heart.

The boys run and laugh and climb on their dad.
They don’t grasp the weight of the day.

The banker politely nods and says good-bye.
She doesn’t understand where we’ll soon go.

The drive-thru girl smiles and says have a nice day.
She doesn’t know what my day holds.

The man crossing the street looks into the car.
He doesn’t care that there are tears in my eyes.

The man in the suit asks if we are the family.
He doesn’t participate in our last moments.

The man who is working shovels dirt into the grave.
He doesn’t weep as he does his job.

The God of the universe looks down from above.
He realizes
He sees
He grasps
He understands
He knows
He cares
He participates
He weeps

Hebrews 4:15-16
For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who has been tempted in every way, just as we are—yet was without sin. Let us then approach the throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need.

Written Friday, May 28, 2010

1 comment:

Ashleigh said...

Keri, I love this. I think you captured reality so well. It is so true.

I remember for weeks and weeks, feeling like everyone else was going on with life as normal while I no longer knew what normal was. I'd have people be rude at the store or the zoo and I'd think, "Don't they know what I'm going through?" And, of course, they didn't.

And I remember on the weight of our day, thinking how the women at the grocery store didn't realize what the yellow carnations I bought were for. But He knew. And He cared.