Friday, August 29, 2008

Silly Prayers

I don't know that silly prayers even exist, but recently I've felt like I've prayed some that were just that . . . silly. A few months ago, I attended back to back women's conferences in Colorado Springs. The first was a leadership conference and the second was a Beth Moore Living Proof Live event. Friday was a big day. I would spend the morning at the hotel finishing up the leadership conference, then later that evening I would attend a huge arena for the Beth Moore event.

As I stood in the bathroom getting ready for the day, I looked in the mirror and prayed. "Lord, I know this is silly, but it would be so cool if I could talk with Beth Moore today." I attended the morning sessions at the leadership conference and headed to the main session room for lunch. We had an unannounced, surprise speaker . . . Beth Moore! To make a long story short, there was a question and answer time and I was able to ask the last question.

After Beth Moore had left the room, I looked at the two women sitting next to me. "This is really silly, but this morning I prayed that I could talk to Beth Moore today." Well, get out the kleenex, these two women laughed and cried and were amazed at how God worked. One of the women, another Beth, said that my prayer was not at all silly and that God knew that I would talk to Beth Moore that day. She believed that God had prompted me to pray, knowing that He would provide. Wow, never thought of it like that!

A few days ago, I prayed another prayer that I would categorize as silly. Owen and I love to walk out to the mailbox together and get the mail. He likes to open the mailbox and carry the mail inside. Recently, he wanted a little more involvement. He wanted mail! Very sweetly he asked, "Mom, is there any mail for me today?" My heart was breaking! "Lord, that would be so great if Owen could get some mail of his own." I had it all figured out, I would send him some mail in the next couple of days. Then I remembered, God is in the business of answering prayer--even silly prayers! The very next day, Owen got mail! I don't know why these things continue to surprise me, but they do. Then, as if the postcard from his Mom's Day Out teacher was not enough, the day after that he received more mail, a thank you note from a friend of mine. Wow! Talk about pouring out blessings and giving good gifts!

I am so thankful that I serve a God who cares about every detail of my life. He knows me. He knows what I want, He knows what I need, He knows what is best for me. He loves to give good gifts to me, but He wants me to ask. It doesn't matter if His response is yes, no or not right now, I know He has my best interests at heart.

2 comments:

Ashleigh said...

Loved this post. It's an encouraging reminder!

Anonymous said...

Not silly...keep praying. It's in the small things where we begin to see how intimately He knows us.

And please keep writing...I'm enjoying getting to know you better. :-)

Aunt Lynette